Multiple fields as notes

rik

12 Feb, 2020 12:40 PM

Hi Niko!

Been using your app since I started my own business, still love it to bits! There is one thing I've been craving since a long time, and that is to have the option to have multiple fields you can use to define your timing notes. Some of the support work I do requires me to make a timing for each support request I get. The description of the support request I write down in the timing note. But on top of that my client asks me:

- which support ticket number it was about (so a custom text field with the label 'ticket nr'),
- whether the hours are part of the support contract of the customer (so basically a boolean yes/no)
- whether the client asked me to do it or if I discoved something myself (a select box with custom options)

Is this something you might consider? :)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Niko on 13 Feb, 2020 11:43 AM

Hi Rik,

Hmm, I am thinking about how to make the timing notes more flexible to meet your needs.

I can’t add all of these fields. They would be useful for your specific needs, but others wouldn’t be able to use them properly.

In the next major update of Timelime I am adding a feature to the Timings, that allows marking each Timing as either unbilled/billed/paid and Timings can be filtered by it.

Would you have an idea how to add something to the app that is more generic and still kind of suits your needs?

Thanks,
    Niko

2. 2 Posted by rik on 14 Feb, 2020 01:16 PM

Hi Niko,

Yes! The examples I gave you were more 'use cases' as to how I would you custom note fields, not that I expected you to implement them exactly like that :)

How I would go about this is to keep it really simple, and allow for the user to assign a 'name' (or 'title') to a few (3 should really be enough?) custom note fields. With the checkbox 'enable' you would then basically create an extra column in the timing reports/exports as well as in the 'add timing note'-popup.

The -enabled- custom fields title and values would then be available in the CSV token fieldset, so when you create an export of the timings, these (enabled) custom field columns would then be exported too.

After enabling one or more custom fields, you could add the input fields for these in the popup for adding a note to the timing. In my case I could write down the description in the first (default) note field, the ticket number in the second one (because I named the first custom field 'ticket nr'), and write down 'yes' in the third one (because I enabled the second custom field with title 'customer has SLA'). Just as an example.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

06 Jul, 2020 02:32 PM
06 Jul, 2020 01:13 PM
06 Jul, 2020 08:42 AM