Can I do real-time tracking?

Yifei

04 Sep, 2014 12:17 AM

I just purchased your app. I want a function similar to the "projecttimelog" in iPhone app store, which can click a start button and a stopwatch will record the timing for a specific task. A great function could be allowing real-time notes, so that I can make real-time comments about my thoughts and approach on the specific task.

Thank you!

1. 1 Posted by Yifei on 04 Sep, 2014 12:25 AM

Hi, I just figured out that I can click the "clock" and start timing the corresponding task. But I still wish to have a stopwatch so that I can monitor the timing. Also, by allowing real-time comments or remark making, the user can record each steps more easily.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Niko on 04 Sep, 2014 04:09 PM

Hi Yifei,

Thank you very much for purchasing the app!

But I still wish to have a stopwatch so that I can monitor the timing.

If you go to the app's preferences and change the setting for "Show time in status icon" in the "Menu Bar" tab, you will probably get what you need.

Also, by allowing real-time comments or remark making, the user can record each steps more easily.

When you check the setting "Show 'Add note to timing' panel after stopping the timer" in the same preferences tab, you will be able to enter a comment to the current timing after the timer is stopped. This is not quite "real-time; I will see if I can add such a feature to the app...

If you have any more questions/issues, please let me know.

Thanks again,
    Niko

3. 3 Posted by Yifei on 04 Sep, 2014 07:05 PM

Hi Niko,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I just used the app for the first serious task timing. It is terrific!

(1) Yes, "Show time in status icon" in the "Menu Bar" tab -- it exactly meets my need. It is even better than the stopwatch kind of design, since it is not distracting with seconds clicking.

(2) I like the "Show 'Add note to timing' panel after stopping the timer" setting. It provides chance to summarize the task as well as self-evaluation in doing the task. For example, I added a note, "- Completed the regression table about peer, pass and interaction term.
    - The nature of the task is sort of mechanic but a little bit tedious. Focus in the key.
    - Focused. Quality time. "

Best regards,
    Yifei

4. 4 Posted by Yifei on 04 Sep, 2014 09:16 PM

By the way, one further suggestion along the line: perhaps to add self-evaluation function to timing. That is, after each timing stopped, user may add labels to reflect self-evaluated quality of the timing, such as very productive, productive, OK, soso.

5. 5 Posted by Yifei on 05 Sep, 2014 06:27 PM

A new suggestion here:

I think to solve the "real-time note" demand, a very practical first step is to allow user add notes while a timing is in process. As my understanding, in current version, when a timing is in process, a user can add description of the timing by selecting "get info", however, he/she can only add note after the timing stopped. It would be better to add note directly, rather than adding notes to the timing description.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac