Re-assign a task shows archived and old tasks

Marco

13 Sep, 2022 06:42 AM

Hi all,
I have a question about changing existing tasks. I often start my tasks with a standard task that I change afterwards. To do this, I right-click on the task and select the menu item "Assign to Task". After that, the task is properly changed. What irritates me are the many tasks, some of them are very old and most of these old tasks are archived.
Is this the standard behavior or can it be set somewhere so that only active tasks can be shown and archived tasks will be hidden? Is there a way to remove them from the list? If not, I would raise a feature request about this :)

Thank you and best regards
Marco

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Niko on 13 Sep, 2022 07:58 AM

Hi Marco,

Thank you for using Timelime and your suggestion:)

Currently, it’s like this:
    - when the timing you want to re-assign is running, the “Assign to task” menu item will show only active tasks
    - when the timing isn’t running, the “Assign to task” menu item will show active and archived tasks

I can change this behavior, so that archived tasks are only listed when “Show all tasks” is selected at the bottom of the task list (right column of the window).

I think it makes sense to show old but active tasks in the “Assign to task” menu. If you know you’ll want to assign the timing to a recent task, it would probably be easier to choose “Assign to recent task” instead.
    Did you know that you can adjust the number of tasks shown in the “Assign to recent task” menu in Preferences > Menu Bar > “Number of recent tasks”.

Does this all make sense to you?

Thanks,
    Niko

2. 2 Posted by Marco on 13 Sep, 2022 10:05 AM

Hi Niko,
    Yes, it does make sense (at least from my point of view).
    For me, active tasks are actually all tasks until I archive them; regardless of their age. Maybe I misinterpreted that in my first post, but that's actually what I meant.

Currently, it's like this: 
    - when the timing you want to re-assign is running, the "Assign to task" menu item will show only active tasks 
    - when the timing isn't running, the "Assign to task" menu item will show active and archived tasks

This is exactly what has always confused me. :) Does archived mean something different in this context? Maybe I am working with the programme in the wrong way?

I can change this behavior, so that archived tasks are  only listed when "Show all tasks" is selected at the bottom of the task list (right column of the window).

In the Timelime main programme, I also have the "Show tasks" filter set to "active" and there I only see the active tasks. In case I want to reactivate a task, I also switch the filter and set the archived task to active.

If the behaviour could also influence the selection of the "Assign to task" list, then that would be great.

It is probably better to make the behaviour changeable via a configuration parameter, as I can only speak for myself and do not know how other people work with it.

Best regards,
    Marco

P.S.: Timelime is great :)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Niko on 14 Sep, 2022 09:40 AM

Hey Marco,

I usually reassign a timing while it's running by right-clicking on the status item and choosing "Assign to task" in the menu there, so I didn't think as much about the behavior in the Timelime main window.

But I agree with what you are writing and will change it now in code. I usually wait for a couple of these minor improvements to accumulate before releasing an update. Since I just released an update three days ago, It will probably take some time for this change to go live on the app store. I hope that's ok.

Best regards,
    Niko

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Niko on 30 Oct, 2022 12:40 PM

Hi Marco,
    This fix is now available since version 1.11.0 of the app!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

30 Nov, 2022 11:41 AM
30 Nov, 2022 11:34 AM
25 Nov, 2022 06:22 PM