New Timing 'plus symbol' Shaded Out

Dan Stewart

13 Oct, 2021 03:44 AM

I've been unable to add new times for the past few weeks, as the plus symbol (see attached image) has been shaded grey.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Niko on 13 Oct, 2021 08:05 AM

Hi Dan,

Are you running the latest version of Timelime (v1.8.10)?
    Does the plus symbol turn to a normal shade when you click on the first task in the task list?
    Does the plus symbol turn to a normal shade when you deselect a task in the task list (uncheck its checkbox)?

On a side note, there are several ways to manually add a timing:
    1. You can drag&drop a task from the task list (left column of the main window) on a specific day of the calendar (middle column).
    2. You can right-click on a task in the task list (main window or menu bar popup panel) and choose “Add Timing”.
    3. You can select a task in the task list of the main window and then push the “+” button below the “Timings” view.
    4. To add a timing to a recent task, you can also right-click on the Timelime status item in the menu bar, then press the “command” key and select “Add timing to <recent task>”. (I know this is quite hidden.)

Niko

2. 2 Posted by gussent on 06 Nov, 2022 02:55 PM

Hi Niko, I'm here to confirm that the issue still exists in version 1.11.2. The "add time" button is inactive, as shown in the screenshot. I was lucky enough to find a way to enable it by expanding the task tree in the main window. Collapsing the tree disables the button again... I hope this helps isolate the problem.

UPD: It looks like at least one of the deepest-level tasks must be expanded for the button to become active. It is not enough to expand tasks that contain non-expanded subtasks.

Kind regards,
    Dmitry

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Niko on 06 Nov, 2022 05:36 PM

Hi Dmitry,

It should behave like this:
    At least one task that is not a parent task has to be selected. (It can also be selected through a selected parent task.) Otherwise, the added Timing would not be visible in the Timings view, so the “add timing” button is grayed out.
    Can you confirm this on your Mac?

Thanks,
    Niko

4. 4 Posted by gussent on 06 Nov, 2022 08:44 PM

Hi Niko, it seems like at least one no-a-parent-task must be VISIBLE in the tree. It is not enough just to select the parent task, it must be expanded so that its children become visible.

Kind regards,
    Dmitry

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Niko on 06 Nov, 2022 09:24 PM

Can you please check again? It works here:

6. 6 Posted by gussent on 06 Nov, 2022 09:42 PM

Ooooh! Everything turned out to be even more interesting. If, for example, you have nested tasks with checkboxes set, then the collapsed parent task will not activate the button. But, if the child task is unselected (unchecked), then even an unexpanded parent task activates the button, which, as I suspect, can be seen in your screenshot. Probably there is an ambiguous state of the tree and the states of its elements.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Niko on 06 Nov, 2022 09:50 PM

So strange:) But I’m still not able to reproduce it. See screenshot:

8. 8 Posted by gussent on 06 Nov, 2022 09:59 PM

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Press "none" button
    2. Expand Supertask, Task and Subtask
    3. Press "all" button (not "some"!)
    4. Collapse Supertask

After all of it Supertask will has a checkmark, and not a minus mark as in your screenshot.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Niko on 06 Nov, 2022 10:14 PM

Ahh cool, thank you!! I totally missed this and am able to reproduce it now. I will fix this with the next update.

10. 10 Posted by gussent on 06 Nov, 2022 10:24 PM

You are welcome!

BTW: Somehow the main window appears after system launch even if this behavior disabled in preferences: "Open main window at launch" is unchecked. (Monterey 12.6.1)

Kind regards,
    Dmitry

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Niko on 06 Nov, 2022 10:42 PM

Okay thanks! I will look at this as well.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Niko on 06 Nov, 2022 10:45 PM

BTW: Somehow the main window appears after system launch even if this behavior disabled in preferences: "Open main window at launch" is unchecked. (Monterey 12.6.1)

I just remembered: This could happen when there is not enough space in the menu bar to display the Timelime status item. Then the main window will open regardless of the "Open main window at launch” setting.

13. 13 Posted by gussent on 07 Nov, 2022 06:26 AM

It surely has enough space on 27" display =)

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Niko on 07 Nov, 2022 11:38 AM

Okay thanks:) I’ll look at it.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Niko on 30 Nov, 2022 11:34 AM

Hi! The greyed out “plus-button” problem is finally fixed now in the latest update to the app:)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screenshot_2021-10-12_at_8.43.31_PM.png 666 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

30 Nov, 2022 11:41 AM
30 Nov, 2022 11:34 AM
25 Nov, 2022 06:22 PM