Remove linebreaks in taskdescription on paste

Lars

13 Jul, 2021 03:36 PM

As I am working with ticket systems I regularly copy and paste the ticket title into the task description field. Sometimes it the copied text may contain linebreaks which results in empty lines shown in main window if the linebreak is at the end of the copied text.

I would like to see linebrakes replaced by spaces and spaces be trimmed from the beginning and end of a pasted string.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Niko on 13 Jul, 2021 04:36 PM

Hi Lars,
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I agree about trimming linebreaks/newlines and spaces when pasting text.
    I’m unsure about converting all newlines to spaces. Some users might want to keep paragraph formatting.

Niko

2. 2 Posted by Lars on 13 Jul, 2021 05:17 PM

I was talking about the task title, not the description. Sorry for the confusion.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Niko on 13 Jul, 2021 06:26 PM

No problem...
    When pasting text into the task title, newlines already get replaced by spaces.
    Can you give me an example?

4. 4 Posted by Lars on 15 Jul, 2021 11:37 PM

I can't reproduce it at the moment but will pay attention if it happens again. Maybe you fixed something recently? I remeber I was not able to just copy ticket number and title, which stand on different lines in jira and redmine, and paste them on one single task title line. Now it works very well. Trimming white spaces might be nice, but it looks fine so far.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Niko on 16 Jul, 2021 08:48 AM

Ok, no problem! Thanks for letting me know if you find anything in the future.
    White spaces should be trimmed already.
    I didn’t change anything regarding the pasting of text recently.

6. 6 Posted by Lars on 22 Jul, 2021 02:42 AM

The problem with jira appeared today, copying and pasting the following lines (everything inside the backticks):
    ```
    Ticket-ID

Description
    ```
    I hope you can reproduce it. You may use a hex editor to see the actual characters:

54 69 63 6B 65 74 2D 49 44 20 0A 0A 44 65 73 63 72 69 70 74 69 6F 6E

7. 7 Posted by Lars on 22 Jul, 2021 02:47 AM

The problem appeared in the small taskbar window. I tried in the main Window it didn't appear and after that I was not able to reproduce on taskbar dialog neither.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Niko on 22 Jul, 2021 10:09 AM

Ahh cool, I was able to reproduce the issue now. It only occurs when pasting while Timelime is not the currently active app. For example you are working in another app, then you click on the Timelime status item, and right away edit the task name in the panel.

I have fixed it already in code, and the fix will be available in the next update.

Let me know if you find any other bug, thanks!

9. 9 Posted by Lars on 22 Jul, 2021 02:16 PM

As always great support, Niko. That makes it a pleasure to report bugs or feature request. Thank you very much!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Sep, 2021 03:45 AM
13 Sep, 2021 06:04 AM
06 Sep, 2021 12:55 PM