Rounding way too much after 100h?

Vaclav Slavik

23 Jan, 2014 05:27 PM

After the total counter for my project reached 100h, it stopped showing minutes. Is this by design or a bug? In any case, it makes Timelime less-than-usable: it makes it impossible to get accurate count out of it. And 100h is really not that much, that's less than a fulltime month worth of work...

See attached screenshot and how the count for the two subgroups doesn't add up to exactly 100h.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Vaclav

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Niko on 24 Jan, 2014 01:58 AM

Hi Vaclav,

thank you for pointing this out to me!

You are right, Timelime rounds down to the hour when displaying added up timings that are greater than 100 hours.
    (Internally your timings are still stored with millisecond precision.)

Would it be ok for you to have the accurate time (down to the second) show up in the task info panel? The one that pops up when clicking cmd+i or choosing "Get Info" in the contextual menu.
    I will add this in the next update...
    I might also add an option to start rounding down to the hour at 1000 hours in the menu bar panel. But probably not in the upcoming update. (I have to get this ready for the App Store...:)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to see in a future update!

Thank you,
    Niko

2. 2 Posted by vslavik on 24 Jan, 2014 10:10 AM

Hi,

>
    > Would it be ok for you to have the accurate time (down to the second) show up in the task info panel?
    >

It would be better than nothing, certainly, but not all that helpful. The nice thing about Timelime is that it keeps (well, kept until now) the information available at a glance. When you work on a retainer, being aware of the current (precise!) monthly total is important. Having to hunt it down in some obscure part of the UI is… not that great.

To be honest, this UI decision makes no sense to me. I suppose you want to save some horizontal space, but there’s plenty of screen space on Macs, making the window 20px wider would hardly impact anything other than improving usability (and consistency)…

> Let me know if there is anything else you would like to see in a future update!
    >

I actually emailed you a while back with some feedback, but that probably went straight to /dev/null…Anyway, here are some:

1. Would be nice if the menubar's on/off status was more visible than a change of color of a relative small element. Billings changes between black and red background, which makes it easier to spot if I forgot to start the timer. (Also, the clock icon nearly touches the borders. Wouldn't it be a bit nicer if it was 2px shorter vertically? Strangely, I didn't notice it in screenshots [it was there all the time, though], but immediately noticed something not quite right when I launched the app.)

2. iCloud or another form of syncing: this would be extremely useful, syncing both the projects list and times. I often find myself switching between my desktop and macbook while doing development, so being able to track time on both would be great, especially if done well (i.e. syncing the timeslots, not just totals).

3. Opening the window by clicking the menubar widget can be very slow. It’s much better now on my new HW, but when I was using it with a slow SSD (not even a HDD), it could take 2+ SECONDS to react to mouse click if I didn’t click it in a while (subsequent clicking was instant). Even now I occasionally notice small delays, which means they must be over ~200ms. Weird.

4. For my workflow, having the ability to show today hours in the menu bar would be nice — I switch between projects during the day, but am usually aware of how many hours per day I have to put in. This information is already available after expanding the window, it’s just that having it visible at a glance would be even better. (Talk about nitpicking, right?)

Anyway, that sounds like a lots of complains, but I’m overall very happy with Timelime — I’ve been using it for a month now (ditched Billings with the end of 2013) and so far, it’s exactly what I wanted. And as a developer myself, I like that you aren’t afraid to ask a fair price for it — it was money exceptionally well spent.

Regards,
    Vaclav

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Niko on 28 Jan, 2014 01:47 AM

Hi Vaclav,

thank you very much for your suggestions!

You convinced me :-). I'll display each task's time down to the minute and only truncate for durations more than 1000 hours in the menu bar panel. Since the next version will allow longer tasks names and thus also horizontal resizing of the panel, the horizontal space will be not so much of a constraint anymore.

Yes, I just found your mail! I did read it, just forgot to answer; am very sorry about that. I'll reply to it separately.

Regarding your other suggestions:

1. I will definitely tackle the menubar item in version 1.3 (currently I'm finishing up version 1.2). I have had different suggestions regarding the design of the menu bar item. Some users requested a monochrome item, and others more color... So I'm collecting these suggestions like yours, and will come up with a more customizable menu bar item.

2. Synchronization is in the works. I have tried different approaches. Decentralized synchronization is not an easy task in the case of an app like Timelime. To achieve consistency across devices, I will have to include conflict resolution. I have tried it with Apple's built in iCloud sync, but it just wasn't flexible enough. So I will use Drew McCormack's framework Ensembles, which is a great open source project. It will allow Timelime to sync through iCloud and maybe other services. Please be patient, it'll be available soon.

3. I'm not sure whether you mean the "menu bar panel" that opens after clicking on the menu bar item, or the "main window" that opens when clicking on the "show main window" button in the lower right corner of the menu bar panel.
      The menu bar panel should open pretty much instantly, since most data to display there is cached. When opening the main window, it will take some time until all columns are displayed depending on the amount of data selected for display.

4. Good idea! The menu bar item could optionally display all time of the current day, instead of displaying the time corresponding to the task that is currently timing. I'll add this to my ToDo list.

No worries, it doesn't sound like complaints to me. I'm glad that users like you take their time to give feedback here or by email. That helps me a lot to improve Timelime.
    For example the "time truncation" in the menu bar panel issue: When I use my app for contract work I do, these projects never exceed 100 hours. Therefore I did not care much about accuracy in the menu bar panel, beyond that amount of time. So your feedback did show me someone else's perspective...

Thanks again,
    Niko

4. 4 Posted by vslavik on 28 Jan, 2014 09:46 AM

Hi,

thanks for your detailed reply! I understand that sync is hard, no worries.

> The menu bar panel should open pretty much instantly, since most data to display there is cached

Yes, that’s my expectation too. Alas, it doesn’t, there’s sometimes a small (now) but noticeable delay.

Vaclav

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Niko on 28 Jan, 2014 11:23 AM

Ok, I will look into this.

Thanks, Niko

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2014-01-23_at_18.25.05.png 68 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2023 11:56 AM
27 Jan, 2023 10:25 AM
23 Jan, 2023 04:48 PM