Timeline make me crazy changing the time records

karlegas

09 Jan, 2017 08:39 PM

HI I have the last version 1.5.3 but I notices the same happened with the 1.5.2, I think I had before the 1.4 something.

I made a lot of records change on Timelime because I don't follow a timeline, the problem is that now when I change a record by example

Purchase Equipment 12/12/16 3:58 PM - 4:12 pm in this case I will change the start time 3:45 PM then automatically the stop time will change to a minor value like 4:00 pm, I don't know why is doing that maybe has relation with the round up?

I don't know if I can comeback to an older version before 1.5 and keep my data safe?

Thanks

Karl

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Niko on 09 Jan, 2017 11:06 PM

Hi Karl,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue!
    You are right, it does round the end time when editing the start time.
    To avoid this behavior for now, please uncheck “Show rounded duration” above the timings table. Then it works as expected.

I will fix this in the next update.

Thanks again,
    Niko

2. 2 Posted by karlegas on 10 Jan, 2017 04:28 PM

Hi

Thanks for the answer but I cannot find the "Show rounded duration” above the timings table only display Search Note and a check box for Show Notes, could you send me a capture where is?

Thanks

Karl

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Niko on 10 Jan, 2017 04:39 PM

The “Show rounded duration” checkbox is only visible if you have configured rounding for at least one task (see screenshot).

Do you experience the described issue on timings of tasks that don’t have rounding enabled?

4. 4 Posted by karlegas on 10 Jan, 2017 04:58 PM

Hi Niko

Well I think the rounding is enabled in the app I don’t know where the timings can enable the rounding.

Then I recorded a video with my issue, how you can see not show the check box in the timings view and change my timings by itself.

Please advise if I need back to a version don’t have the rounding feature.

Karl

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Niko on 10 Jan, 2017 05:23 PM

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the video! I now understand what you meant.
    Since Timelime v1.5, when you change the start date of a timing, the end time automatically adjusts so the duration stays the same. There is no rounding involved.
    I have made this change to be consistent with other apps like Apple Calendar and most other time tracking apps, which all implement this behavior.

To change the duration of a timing, please edit the end time or the duration.
    Also, did you know that you can navigate quickly through the different fields using the tab key, while editing a timing.

I don’t recommend going back to a previous version of Timelime. Your Timelime database has been updated going from version 1.4 to 1.5.

I hope you understand,
    Niko

6. 6 Posted by karlegas on 10 Jan, 2017 05:55 PM

Niko

This is very frustrating… no matter if I change the the end time the start time will change to keep the duration, so before I only need input one change now I need make two more changes. Change the duration is not a good option because I need made the calculation and won’t be exact.

I understand the technical issues with Apple Calendar or other tracking apps but I only use your app for tracking my time and my other mates.

Will be a big trouble have app 1.5 version without this feature? Or I can go back to the 1.4, I have Time Machine and get the old database version and export/import the records from December to today?

I came from using Timesheets and Timeslice apps and I had the bad experience that the developer change the app in some way that made impossible work with it since add features or change the developing.

Please advise and share with me the last version of 1.4 if I cannot get a 1.5

Thanks for you patience.

Karl

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Niko on 10 Jan, 2017 06:43 PM

>> no matter if I change the the end time the start time will change to keep the duration
    If you change the end time, the start time should stay the same and the duration should adjust. Did you mix up “start time” and “end time” here?

You are right: When you edit an existing timing and only want to change the start time, but keep the end time the same, then you now need to edit both start and end time. Whereas before you only needed to edit the start time.
    When I changed this behavior, I never thought this would be an issue to anyone.

I’d be interested: In your case, what is the scenario that you only need to change the start date?

What I can try to do is this:
    Add a feature in version 1.5.4 that let’s you edit the start time the old way, when holding down a modifier key (maybe the option key).
    Would this be ok for you?

8. 8 Posted by karlegas on 10 Jan, 2017 07:11 PM

On Jan 10, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Niko <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line 
    ================================================== 

>> no matter if I change the the end time the start time will change to keep the duration 
    If you change the end time, the start time should stay the same and the duration should adjust. Did you mix up “start time” and “end time” here?

That is curious I made the change on the end time and works, maybe I made something wrong before.

You are right: When you edit an existing timing and only want to change the start time, but keep the end time the same, then you now need to edit both start and end time. Whereas before you only needed to edit the start time. 
    When I changed this behavior, I never thought this would be an issue to anyone.

I’d be interested: In your case, what is the scenario that you only need to change the start date?

Well happened frecuently in my case I when I forget create new task right away and then I have a gap on the time, so I need change later when I review my timesheet for the day I need to change the start date.

What I can try to do is this: 
    Add a feature in version 1.5.4 that let’s you edit the start time the old way, when holding down a modifier key (maybe the option key). 
    Would this be ok for you?

Yes will be great !!!

On Tue, Jan 10 at 09:55 AM PST, karlegas wrote:

Niko

This is very frustrating… no matter if I change the the end time the start time will change to keep the duration, so before I only need input one change now I need make two more changes. Change the duration is not a good option because I need made the calculation and won’t be exact.

I understand the technical issues with Apple Calendar or other tracking apps but I only use your app for tracking my time and my other mates.

Will be a big trouble have app 1.5 version without this feature? Or I can go back to the 1.4, I have Time Machine and get the old database version and export/import the records from December to today?

I came from using Timesheets and Timeslice apps and I had the bad experience that the developer change the app in some way that made impossible work with it since add features or change the developing.

Please advise and share with me the last version of 1.4 if I cannot get a 1.5

Thanks for you patience.

Karl

Having trouble reading this? View this PRIVATE discussion online: Timeline make me crazy changing the time records.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://support.timelimeapp.com, visit this page

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Niko on 10 Jan, 2017 07:25 PM

Hey Karl, your last post doesn't display correctly. Can you post it again?

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Niko on 10 Jan, 2017 07:26 PM

never mind, I got it....

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Niko on 10 Jan, 2017 07:35 PM

Cool, I will add the feature with the alternate editing in the next update.

Well happened frecuently in my case I when I forget create new task right away and then I have a gap on the time, so I need change later when I review my timesheet for the day I need to change the start date.

I know this won't apply when you review your times at the end of the day: But did you know that you can adjust the start time of a running timing to the end time of the previous timing automatically. To do so, right-click on the menu bar item and choose "Move start back in time" > "xx minutes (end of last timing)".

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 May, 2017 03:36 PM
17 May, 2017 12:08 PM
10 May, 2017 04:18 PM